Friday, May 7, 2010

Holler Uncle

This is my favorite mug at work. I use it every time I have coffee or tea. It reads, "For my UNCLE... CHRISTMAS is a time for family and special thoughts of you." Christmas is for family and thoughts about your uncle. Who knew? I had no idea that uncles were such a key part of Christmas. Which leads me to one of my age-old questions: do you suppose Jesus was ever an uncle? It seems probable. But how crazy would that be: "Hey, Uncle Jesus!" Just a strange thought. But then that leads me to another question. Why is it that all the rest of my extended family members refer to my parents as "Uncle Dana" and "Aunt Judy," but I never refer to my aunts and uncles as "Aunt" or "Uncle." They are simply Glenda, Keith, Karen, Diane, etc. First name basis only. Then I wondered if anyone else is taken off guard for this. Why did my siblings and I get out of this requirement of addressing parental siblings with appropriate titles? Robin, do you ever call anyone "Aunt" or "Uncle" anything? But why would we? I don't call my mom "Mom Judy," or my brother "Brother Daniel." I call my sister "Seester," but never "Seester Robin." Silly. Perhaps I am doing everyone a disservice for not reminding them of their role in my life. Or perhaps I am honoring them by showing that they mean more to me than just a familial title. But then that brings me back to Christmas, and thoughts of my uncle. Perhaps uncles should be named accordingly, so I can adequately think special thoughts on Christmas. But why are uncles the only ones specifically remembered at Christmas? Is there a mug that reads, "For my COUSIN... THE FOURTH OF JULY is a time for family and special thoughts of you"? I want a special mug. And special thoughts. For I fear I shall never be an uncle. But perhaps that's selfish.

I have deep and abiding questions.

5 comments:

  1. Honorable Sister Carrie - (that makes you sound like a nun) No, I never have either. I can think of a handful of times where I jokingly called Diane as "Uncle Diane".. I think it's because somewhere way back when, she had said to someone that she didn't want to be "aunt". Maybe I'm wrong. Whatever. Oh and I say "Uncle James" because Mother does.

    I've always thought it was strange that we're the only ones that do that too. I think we're just cooler. Someday when I have kids, I'll make them call you "Admirable Auntie Carrie Annie, whom we love, adore, and fondly think of at all times". Kinda long, but my kids will be smart, so it shouldn't be a problem. And I like all the "ie's" in it.

    Or would you rather be "Tante Carrie de paraplu" which is, of course, Aunt Carrie the Umbrella in Dutch?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Uncle James! That's true! I think of him as uncle too. I don't know that I call him that very often to his face though. He's one that I don't know how to address, so I usually don't.

    And I like your suggested titles... Tante Carrie de paraplu has a very nice ring to it.

    What would you like to be called?

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Hey you" works for me :) Either that or Aunt Jemima

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hahaha...as usual, I was laughing outloud whilst reading this amazing post. I don't call all of my aunts and uncles "Aunt/Uncle so-and-so" either...but I do, however, call numerous non-related family friends "Aunt/Uncle so-and-so." Hmmm...this is odd, indeed.
    Car, can my kids call you Täti Carrie ovikelloa (Aunt Carrie the doorbell in Finnish...) Or, at the very least, Auntie-sita cAr? To stay in keeping with my familial tradition of calling non-related family friends Aunt/Uncle, of course ;]

    ReplyDelete
  5. When I was a child I called my aunts, uncles, godparents, and family friends by Uncle "First name" and Aunt "first name". However, once I got older it was amended to their first name unless I was talking about them to someone else "Oh we went to visit my Aunt Karlan and Uncle Cam" or when telling a story from my childhood.
    When I have children, they will be calling my dad "Oh Captain my Captain" because he hates "Grandpa" and Retta will be "Tia Bek" because that's what all children call her. I want you to choose what they call you, no matter how silly. (in fact, the sillier the better! Imagine the confusing conversations at preschool!)

    ReplyDelete